Sunday, November 25, 2007

Pascal Programming

Nancy emailed me. She said she missed us and she was now playing with snow and hail. How lucky she is. I've never touched snow yet. My best chance would be this Turkey trip where one of the stop over is Mount Uludak.

I had reservist today. Met an old friend from what, 18 years ago? He was one of the best programmers in my class. I remembered how he tried his best to teach me Pascal, an 'ancient' programming language.

When I was still trying to get my "if-then loop" to work, he was already programming a monophonic Phil Collin song on his program. Both monophonic tones on a Intel 286, as well as Phil Collins were hot those days. Man... I feel old.

He recounted how he was in this big-shot programming company when 9/11 came. His company closed down and he had to join Civil Defense now as a fire fighter. How sharp a turn life can take. One success does not mean you have made it and one failure does not mean that you are a failure.

I've heard/seen/know so much of such stories that I'm convinced that everyday, life can throw to us surprises that could make us respond with nothing else but awe. If we give up immediately, we close the doors of future success.

1 comment:

Karmen said...

Lucky you then...even though i been to japan and korea,i never even got near snow.not even seeing it!nancy also sent me an email that she played with snow.but for hail...not very possible is it?