Sunday, December 16, 2007

Turkey Day 2

We were all wrapped up with snow attire. My heart was pounding. After 36 years on this Earth, finally I'm going to touch, hear, feel, taste and see real snow. What was magical was that I'm going to do all this with the people I love: My wife and kids.




The view from below was already spectacular. All 30 of us from the tour group cramped into the cable car as it jerks it way slowly up the summit.


The view from the cable car was already spectacular. As we move from below the snowline and enter into the snowzone, all I wanted to do was shout, "Thank you, God!" All the geography lessons I had in university came flashing into my mind.


Snow zones, of course, depends on the temperature. The higher the latitude and/or the higer the altitude, the colder it gets, the more probable snow can exists. Since Uludag is 2453m higher than the sea level, this plays snows a lot.


The snowfields of Mt Uludag were spectacular! Mt Uludag is the Turkish name for Mt Olympus, yes, the same Olympus in Greek Mythology that we covered in P5. I did not meet any Zeus or Hera but it was still heavenly. My kids and I did everything we thought we could: snowmen, a snowfort, snow angels. The only thing we didn't have time for was skiing.



I will remember this moment as one of the most magical moments in my life. Second, if not on par, perhaps only to the time I snorkelled at the Maldives and manta rays swam below us.Quickly, I learned, this time first hand, the mechanics of snow. It melts quickly as it hits warm areas of your clothings. Therefore you should get water proof everything if you can: coats, shoes, etc, etc.



My kids and I had a snowball fight. The snow ball disintegrates on impact so it does not hurt, unless you put a stone or rock inside it that is. The extra clothings also protects you from the impact so it was safe fun.
After that, we drove through the beautiful Turkish countryside to Kusadasi to our next hotel.






No comments: